Saturday, April 20, 2013

HIIT it...

Remember how I wrote about my love for strength training? I almost love HIIT just as much. If you are unfamiliar with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), there's a great article here about it's benefits.

This month, during the Whole30, I've been trying to focus on getting consistent with my workouts as well as my eating. I thought I had it dialed in pretty well, but after listening to a podcast the other day I made a few tweaks to my training plan. You can see my newest plan ➡ in the side bar. It's very similar to my other one, but by combining my strength and HIIT days I'm only training 4x a week and doing light activity the other 3.

The beauty of HIIT is twofold for me...it's quick and I can do it anywhere. Plus, it's highly effective. I downloaded an interval timer app to my phone and set up my desired info (timing/sets etc.) and I was in business. I keep a list of exercises and pick 4 before each HIIT session. Today for example, I did: squat thrust/half burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers & fast feet. 30 seconds all out, 20 seconds rest between each exercise. Rest for 1 min and do the whole cycle again, and again (3-4 sets total). With rest and everything the whole thing takes me 12-16 minutes! And let me tell you, it's a workout. It's not easy, but it's simple!! I like simple.

If you want a peek at my "HIIT List", here it is:

HIIT Exercises

Squat jumps
Skaters
Jumping jacks
Mountain climbers
Squat thrust/ half burpees
High knees
Switch kicks
Butt kicks
Fast feet
Log jumps
Cross jacks
Plank jacks
Shuffle
Suicide run
Switch feet
Jumping lunges
Shadow boxing
Tuck jumps



You can do this type of training with anything though, just pick up the tempo and intensity during your walk or run, or while swimming or biking. (Obviously only if you are able to exercise). I'm not a professional, just sharing what works for me! Use your common sense.  You know what you are capable of.  Don't be afraid to push your comfort zone, but don't hurt yourself either!

Do you use HIIT?  Any suggested exercises to add to my list??

3 comments:

Jess @ PaleoJess said...

Argh I need to do more of this!! Lucky today is Sunday planning day!

Anonymous said...

Awesome list! I can't think of anything I do that's not on it. Are Tabadas a type of HIIT? I would think so, but I'm not sure.

Tiffany said...

Yep Em...tabatta is HIIT :)