Saturday, May 12, 2012

Check in...

I know blogging on the weekend is pretty much a sure way NOT to get this read, since most of you have other things you're doing, but I feel like I need to check in anyway. This week was one of those weeks that no matter how hard I tried to get things done, it just wasn't flowing very well. Grrr. For the past two weeks I've been concentrating on balancing out my food intake(ala Smarter Science of Slim). What that means is that I'm trying to get my percentages of calories coming from fat, carbs and protein to balance out (33-34% each). Think of looking at a pie graph split into 3 equal portions. It's been a learning process, but I'm doing pretty well. I am eating massive amounts of non starchy veggies (average 10-12 servings a day) which keeps me feeling satisfied when combined with the good fats from flax seeds and nuts and of course lean protein. I've also been eating a couple servings of berries a day (yummy). I'm feeling like this way of eating is sustainable, healthy and balanced. I had no difficulty last weekend while out to dinner for my birthday, I just doubled up on the vegetable side instead of having the rice that would've normally come with my meal. I had to plan ahead last night and eat before the Family Fun Festival at my daughter's school, but that wasn't a big deal. The fam ate pizza but I was full from the ginormous salad I had before going. Small victories. This really isn't that different from how I had been eating, but I did add back a few of the things I used to eat (like the berries and plain nonfat Greek yogurt)and cut back slightly on the fat to a more moderate amount. Exercise lately has been good. I'm trying a different technique with the strength training, which I will share in another post. I've been walking and running in moderate amounts and active in general(I don't think you can avoid that with 3 kids). I took measurements this morning because I'm trying to gauge my progress in ways besides the scale. I really wish I could throw the stupid thing away, but I'm still too attached. Anyway, that's the update. Nothing too exciting. For you Moms out there, Happy Mother's Day! Hope you all have a great weekend. Next week I have a guest post for you, in honor of May's Pregnancy Awareness Month.

1 comment:

Ryan Cowley said...

Way to go on the small victories (though I would view them as large ones myself!). Happy Mother's Day to you, too!