Monday, June 27, 2011

You put the lime in the coconut....

A few weeks ago the hubs brought home some coconut water. To be perfectly honest I kinda shrugged my shoulders, stuck it in the fridge and said "whatever". He tasted it and didn't particularly care for it, and so there it's been sitting. Then I noticed some in the cold box at the register at the grocery store, next to the sodas and energy drinks. And then I heard mention about it on a podcast by Jillian Michaels. So, I thought, what the heck, let's look into this. Turns out, it's pretty good for you. I found this article on the topic.
I personally have to refuel quickly after a workout or my body won't make milk for my lil bambina, so the coconut water I'm finding is great to help me get back on a even keel and rehydrate properly. Of course, as with anything, don't go over board. I think it's great post-workout, but I wouldn't drink it all the time. It has calories, it has some sugar (natural sugars, but sugars just the same) but I think it has some merit as a whole which is why I'm sharing with you.
To be clear, this is coconut water...not coconut milk. There is a distinction. The water comes from the unripened green coconut and the milk comes from pressing the meat of a "ripe" brown coconut. The taste is a little different then you might expect. I ♥ it in a post-workout smoothie instead of almond milk though. Drinking it straight up is an acquired taste. I don't mind it straight, but it's not my all time favorite thing either.
I'm looking forward to using it when I start my longer training runs because I do think it will be beneficial. Drinking about 8 oz after my Ripped in 30 workout today was good too. All in all, a good find....thanks hubby ☺
Have you tried coconut water? Has this peaked your interest at all?

2 comments:

REBYRYAN said...

I tried it a while back because I had read all the health benefits but just wasn't into it. I never thought about putting it in a smoothie! I may have to give that a try.

Tiffany said...

In a smoothie is definitely the way to go!