Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Finding the sweet spot...

Good morning lovelies! Did you miss me? Somehow the days and weeks have just been flying lately and I haven't been blogging. If you remember I was sick, the kids were sick, then hubby went on vacation. Totally threw me off my routine. Last week was a "normal" week though so I was working on getting everything back in order. And here I am. I've had a few successes (and a few bad days). I busted into the 170's which is an awesome feeling. My BMI no longer categorizes me as obese...now I am simply overweight lol (I really hate BMI because I think it's screwy, but I still look at the number as a bit of a guideline). I dropped 4% body fat this month and overall I've lost almost 10% which means I've lost 30 lbs of fat since starting this process. I'm very close to fitting into my size 10 jeans...I can get them on and buttoned but the spill-over effect is not pretty. Another 10 lbs or so and I think they'll fit.
I did have a few bad days though in the past couple weeks. Thankfully I'm learning to brush it off and get back on the right track immediately. It used to be that a bad day or two would morph into a bad week or two. Not so anymore. I LIKE eating healthy and being active so getting back to it is that much easier. This isn't something that I'm doing just to lose weight but it is an added perk.
That last point is an important one. The changes I'm making are sustainable. Not always easy, but doable long term. Otherwise, what's the point? I had to motivate myself out of my little funk last week. How? I bought myself a double jogging stroller. Something I've been wanting. Something that's going to make exercising with the kids easier. And I love it. I took a 6 mile walk yesterday and burned 750 calories! And I enjoyed it, I'm excited to take the kids on walks and get little bits of exercise wherever I can.
Something else I've learned the past few weeks- a tip for those of you hitting a wall or having a tough time losing right now, start tracking your sugar. I started tracking my intake on MyFitnessPal.com just for fun really. I was frustrated the first few days because I kept going over their suggested levels. So I quit tracking it. Then I figured I'd try again and give it a couple days and see what happened. Let me tell you people, the weight fell off for a couple days. Unfortunately I didn't think about the effect it would have on my milk supply...that dropped too :( So now I am aware of my sugar intake and searching for that sweet spot number that will allow me to drop weight easier but not compromise my ability to feed my child. Being aware is the first step though...
And now, I'm hearing the pitter-patter of little feet which is my signal that the day is starting. Have a great day peoples!!

2 comments:

Ryan Cowley said...

The sugar thing makes sense. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one. Thanks!

Sabrina said...

Glad to have you back! You seen so much more relaxed about the whole thing, I like that! You're right, just doing what you should do makes things better.