Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm a runner...that's my thing!

Last week was another tough week. Having my 5 yr old underfoot all week long during Spring Break threw me out of whack. The kids were at each other constantly it seemed and some unwelcome behaviors reared their ugly heads. Thankfully by the end of the week I got things back in sync and came to the realization that I NEED to run. So I started thinking. How do I make this work? By the time evening hits and I get the kids to bed, I'm exhausted (this used to be my "normal" workout time), also that's my time to spend with the hubs.
The solution is really pretty simple...I learn to run with the stroller. It may not be the ideal, but that's what's working for me right now. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday and felt AWESOME! I ran 3 miles today and felt the same. I went from training for and running a half marathon, to basically nothing. No wonder my moods have been all over the place! Add in some pregnancy hormones and some crappy food and you have a recipe for a 10 lb weight gain. Running makes me feel good, so running is what I'm going to do.
On the pregnancy front I feel good this week. I'm having some fairly strong food aversions...mostly cooked veggies. They make me VERY nauseous. Fresh veggies are fine though, as is fruit. The normal tiredness that comes with pregnancy in the beginning and end is continuing it's visit. I'm also experiencing heart palpitations from time to time randomly (which I've heard can be a sign of multiples...guess I'll find out next week if that's true). The jeans are starting to fit snugly and are getting a touch uncomfortable to sit in LOL. My stomach has also been replaced with a bottomless pit...and the struggle has become how to fill it with healthy stuff and not junk, since the junk sounds so good. Getting back into my running routine seems to be helping me make the better food choices though...I tell you, it makes me feel normal (as normal as I can be, that is).
Anyway, here's to a good week!

2 comments:

Meg said...

I'm *not* pregnant, and I have those junk food cravings, too! Though less and less than I used to.

Glad that you're getting back to the running. I took a few days off, then went out today for a 2.5-miler and it felt pretty good.

Meg (from Daily Mile!)

Greta from www.bigbottomblogger.blogspot.com said...

Running...that is great! Good solution with the stroller, too...as long as he is tolerant and you have a good stroller leash attached to you just in case.

Ample protein and fat will help with the bottomless pit thing....will help you feel full. Combining protein/fat/carbs at each meal and snack is wise when pregnant. You are going to do great! A model pregancy for you!